Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Speech Therapy 101 Session 2 Chew that gum

I don't feel like we got our money's worth this week, but I'll share what the therapist reviewed.  She had a diagram of the different parts of the body that are used when we speak.  i.e. the tongue, mouth, brain, voice box and diagram.  Ethan's homework is to learn these parts and their locations (which we already did in our homeschooling).
The second part of the session was aimed at chewing gum.  Apparently, part of the reason some of the sounds my son cannot articulate well,  come from having a weak tongue and lips.  His homework this week is to chew gum on the left side for 30 seconds then using only his tongue move the gum to the right side of his mouth for 30 seconds.  After that he is to practice moving the gum from side to side using only his tongue.  We are also supposed to practice everything we went over in lesson one.  


Other resources I found
The Tongue Story


2 comments:

  1. Yes, thank you. I can tell my son has a weak tongue and my husband suggested chewing gum...Chewing gum? Well, I thought that might be used as a tool so I looked it up and found your blog: )Thanks

    ReplyDelete